Friday, June 6, 2008

Diet and Exercise

31 lbs in 28 days on my logical program. You be the judge.

So I was wondering what tid bit of knowledge I could share today. What is something most everyone would find useful. Then it came to me. Weight Loss. It's astronomical the amount of Americans who try to loose weight every year. So many different types of diets and plans but what is the logical thing to do. First you must understand some basics on how the body works.

Food is consumed and used for energy. Some foods supply more energy then others. Those are the tasty foods that are high in carbs and fat. If you don't use all the energy from the food it stores it for a later date. How it stores it as FAT. That's your body.

Many diets focus on what types of food you put in. And they often help you loose weight.

My success came from a weight loss competition held for 1 month. The goal loose as much weight as you can. With my keen understanding of how the body works, especially the concept of fat which I had plenty of, I went to work.

The ISU Wrestling Team helped me put a program together. I'd exercise in the morning with usually a 1.5 mile jog. And here is the key part... I stopped eating. Woah hold the phone.

Why? Well I knew if I was going to make it I had to shrink my stomach down. It was so stretched out from all the overeating and the 3 big meals a day. It would just groan and moan all day long if I only fed it carrot sticks. So I shrunk it. I went without food for a period of time. You can to it's not that unhealthy. What happens then is your stomach shrinks and you begin to immediately burn off your fat reserves. Also it helps you be thankful to God for those carrot sticks and a bite of apple after a few days. With a smaller normal no longer westernized stomach I was able to eat modestly and exercise and loose a pile of weight. If ever my stomach started to increase in size... I'd just shrink it down again. It's not a perfect diet alone but it's a good start to any diet. It seems to have been working for finally tuned wrestlers for years!

***Please Note***
It's worth mentioning that removing food from your body for a period of time is not the same as fasting. Fasting, in short, is a spiritual time where prayer and thankfulness replace common meal times and the hunger felt towards food is redirected as a hunger for God. This shrinking your stomach is fairly safe as long as you keep plenty of fluids running through your body. This isn't for girls who think they are fat but could be blown away by the wind. It's more for those with large appetites and large stomachs which create large fat reserves.

3 comments:

kaci jo said...

hmmm...I think this is also known as anorexia, but I could be wrong

Eric Crawford said...

Quick question. Where scripturally does it say that prayer must be associated with fasting. I think it's a fairly big misconception that often leads to people 1) Not fasting and 2) Stopping a fast because they "aren't doing what what they are supposed to be fasting for." Just some thoughts.

Stan Hayek said...

Acts 14:23
Daniel 9:3
Psalm 35:13
these are 3 instances where prayer and fasting are found in the same line.

are you specifically talking about 1. not eating and fasting.

Then you'd have to say that you argument increases in strength because do you have to "fast" from food to have it be a fast?