Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bird with an Arrow

Awesomeness in an Arrow:

It was a brisk fall morning and things just felt right. My connection group of guys (bible study), and a couple of additional studs, were heading back to the farm/Hunt Club in rural Tama County to do some Pheasant hunting. They took their guns; I took my bow and arrow.

It started at 7am in the Cornerstone Church Parking lot. This little guy and about 7,000 of his friends were leaving the city of Ames where they slept all night and pooped on cars. We were waiting for our last hunting buddy to pull up and boredom set in, so… I borrowed Andy’s 12 gauge and whacked this crow. It was great... but not awesome.

Awesome came at about 9:45 am. We were out in the field hunting behind my 9yr old Brittany Spaniel named Kate. She stopped dead in her tracks and was on a solid point looking into some native prairie grass. I marched forward and the pheasant flushed. The bird was sweeping from left to right as I let the arrow fly through the air.... my arrow struck AWESOMENESS.

It was a direct hit causing the bird to plummet from the sky. My dog was royally confused. I however was ecstatic. I let out the manliest ROAR!!!! I then proceeded to dance like a little girl. It was awesome and all who were present were amazed, myself included.


I'm so thankful to have been able to hunt with these bible study studs. Pumped to have a story to tell. God Bless. -Stan


*It's a licensed hunting preserve, thus the ability to shoot hens :)







No comments: